This software is a must-have tool for every Xiaomi, Redmi, and Redmi Note user around the world. Without this, you won’t be able to clean install your phone.
If iPhone users have iTunes on their Mac or PC, Xiaomi users have this tool although the sole purpose is for installing stock MIUI ROM.
Xiaomi is very developer-friendly. The company supports third-party Android development as well as deliberately frees users to do a clean install to their phones.
That’s what we really like so much about Xiaomi. Now, since the company has divided its brand to a separate entity, Redmi becomes independent.
As a result, this allows for more rapid development and a faster pace of new device releases.
What is Mi Flash Tool?
Mi Flash is a Windows-based tool developed by Xiaomi Developer Team allowing their users to flash stock MIUI ROM. Here, flashing means installing.
It is free software and is compatible for Windows 10/8/8.1/7.
This tool is helpful for users whos facing bricked device issues. On top of that, while normally users can only update MIUI to latest version available, Mi Flash tool allows a downgrade process on supported devices.
Please note: some Redmi phones are protected with Anti Roll-back Protection (ARB) mechanism. This prevents users to downgrade the operating system on their phones or else it shall brick their phones.
Xiaomi Flash Tool brings all the essential scripts including ADB Fastboot, Qualcomm, and MediaTek drivers into a complete package.
The tool was available as a Microsoft Installer (.msi) file but the most recent versions are already portable.
Below is the list of Mi Flash tool main features:
- Portable standalone package. No installation needed.
- Compatible for Windows 10/8/8.1/7.
- Supports all Xiaomi, Redmi, Redmi Note, and Poco phones.
- Built-in Xiaomi Drivers: Microsoft RNDIS, MTP, Qualcomm, USB Serial and Google ADB drivers.
- Connect multiple phones.
- Multiple Flashing options: Flash All, Flash All except Storage, or Flash All except Storage and Data.
- Option to relock bootloader.
- Easy to use.
- Small system resource usage.
- Requires no Internet connection except for flashing in EDL Mode/Point Test Mode.
Download Mi Flash Tool
Below you can download Xiaomi Mi Flash Tool from mirror links hosted on our servers in the US and Europe (UK, France, and Netherland).
Links are randomly generated. Please refresh or redownload to fetch the file(s) from another location.
|File size||82.3 MB|
|Version||v9.12.06 (build 20191206)|
|Download||Direct link – Mega.nz|
- Download v9.11.11 (build 20191111) from Direct Link or Mega.nz
- Download v9.10.30 (build 20191030) from Direct Link or Mega.nz
- Download v8.11.15 (build 20181115) from Direct Link or Mega.nz
- Download v8.05.28 (build 20180528) from Direct Link or Mega.nz
- Download v7.12.12 (build 20171212) from Direct Link or Mega.nz
- Download v7.04.25 (build 20170425) from Direct Link or Mega.nz
As of Mi Flash Tool version 8 onwards, Mi Flash becomes a standalone portable tool which requires no install process.
Simply download the zip file and extract it on your computer.
Windows has built-in zip extractor or you can use software like WinZip, WinRAR, or 7zip.
If you have WinZip or WinRAR installed, right-click on the file then choose Extract Files.
How to Install Official MIUI Fastboot ROM
MIUI Fastboot ROM is an official firmware update package flash-able through Fastboot method only.
You cannot use the firmware package to update your phone through Recovery method. There is a special package for that.
Fastboot mode, which is also known as Bootloader mode, is a special mode used to debug your phone. Within this mode, the bootloader does not boot the operating system as what it should usually do.
Installing MIUI firmware through the bootloader mode allows you to do a full install. In other words, this makes you do a clean install of MIUI Android operating system.
- Do a full-upgrade;
- Downgrade the MIUI version (Non ARB devices only);
- Switch between MIUI builds, for instance: Stable to Beta, China to Global, Global to India, and vice versa;
- Fix soft-bricked device.
- This process resets your phones, means that…
- You’ll lose all your data and files;
- Riskier than a Recovery update;
- A little bit arduous.
You will need or have to do the following things:
- A Windows PC/laptop running Windows 10/8/8.1/7 64-bit OS;
- The latest version of Mi Flash tool available above;
- WinRAR or 7zip must have been installed on your PC;
- A Xiaomi Mi, Redmi, Redmi Note, or Poco phone;
- Unlocked bootloader is a must. Read here;
- A corresponding MIUI Fastboot ROM;
- A USB data cable (not a charging-only cable).
Steps to Install MIUI Fastboot ROM
Step 2 – Extract the MIUI ROM .tgz file using either WinRAR or WinZip. You’ll get a new folder named similar to the original filename.
For instance, Redmi Note 8 users will get a folder named:
Step 3 – Enable Developer Options on your phone by going to the Settings >> About Phone >> tap MIUI Version several times >> You are a developer!
Step 4 – Next, enable USB Debugging by going to Settings >> Additional Settings >> Developer Options >> switch on USB Debugging.
Step 5 – Switch off your phone completely. Once it’s off, press Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously. This will reboot your phone to Bootloader (Fastboot) mode indicated with the Fastboot logo.
Step 6 – Now connect the phone to the computer using its USB cable.
Step 7 – Open the Mi Flash Tool folder you have extracted before. Right-click on XiaoMiFlash then choose Run As Administrator.
Step 8 – Click Select button (1), then locate the extracted MIUI ROM folder (2). Hit the OK button once done (3).
You’ll see something similar to this:
Step 9 – Now click the Refresh button to let MiFlash tool detect your phone (1). The tool will show your device ID once it can detect it successfully (2).
Step 10 – Choose Clean All option in the bottom. Do not choose Clean All and Lock. Otherwise, it will relock the bootloader.
Step 11 – Are you ready? Now click the Flash button to start installing MIUI firmware/ROM on your phone.
Step 12 – Wait for the tool to do its magic. Notice the Progress Bar. Once it turns green, the flashing process is done.
Congratulation! You have installed MIUI Fastboot ROM using MiFlash Tool.
At this point, your phone will automatically reboot to the operating system which in this case is MIUI.
Initial booting time may take a while, just hold on.
Once you are in, go ahead set everything up just like you would on a new device.
Frequently Asked Questions
The phone is not detected, what should I do?
You can try one of these steps: Replace the USB cable, change to a different USB port (use USB 2.0), reinstall the Mi Flash tool, make sure your phone is in bootloader mode.
How to fix Receiving Hello Packet, Ping Target Failed?
This error usually happens on some old phone series. Try using an older version of MiFlash tool.
How to fix Length cannot less than zero?
Try one of these possible solutions:
- Make sure the ROM file has been extracted completely with no corrupted files.
- Extract the ROM file in the root directory such as drive C:\ or D:\.
- Make sure no single space in the folder name path.
- Ensure the Mi Flash tool is run as Administrator (Right-click > Run as administrator).
How to fix Mismatching image and device?
That means you downloaded a wrong MIUI ROM. The MIUI file you use is not the intended version for your phone type/series. Re-download the correct file for your device variant.
How to fix a broken/bricked phone caused by this method?
This usually happens when you flashed an older version of MIUI on a device with ARB protection enabled. Bring your phone to the nearest Xiaomi service centre.
That’s all folks! Anything you couldn’t grasp? Please do not hesitate to write comments down below.